Thursday, May 24, 2007

Give mama back her body

When I saw supermodel Heidi Klum back on the runway only 12 weeks after she gave birth to her second baby…I thought…pheeeww, this is a joke! If SHE can do it, I CAN DO IT! Come on, how hard can it be? You just need to set aside some time on a daily basis to hit the gym and work your ass off…right? Yeah, I will get my body back in no time and plus going to the gym will give me more energy to deal with the baby…right?
Yes! I could see myself sweating away in those cute gym outfits, my hair neatly pulled back in a ponytail and my IPod blasting the latest dance track.

Well, unfortunately, I was quite wrong and this is pretty much how it went for me:

I decided to join the gym 9 days after Luca was born. I was all pumped up and DETERMINED to lose the weight since I still looked like I was 6 months pregnant and I had to do something about it!
Please note: Most likely you are still a wreck from the whole birth experience, the new baby and the sleep deprivation that your body is not really ready to exercise, but of course, I didn’t give a crap…remember?...Heidi did it!
A few days later I went for the first time. I started slowly, so that my body would get used to it (big fat lie!). A nice speed walk should do the trick (after 15 minutes I almost puked my guts out) and plus “they” (the experts in my mind) say that technically you’re not supposed to exercise until your doc gives you the ok at the 6 weeks postpartum check-up (for God sake you had a baby, not open heart surgery).
After the shock of the first day, I needed some time off to recuperate and went back in mid November. Well…you know, it was my birthday and then one thing or the other, my ass wouldn’t move from the couch…seriously!

Then it was the Holiday Season…and honestly, what’s the point of exercising if you gonna stuff your face for the next month anyway? I PROMISE I will go back in January and really work hard. Yes, it will be my New Year Resolution!

Before I knew it, January was here and so was the end of my maternity leave. I decided to go back to work part-time so that I will still have the time to take care of Luca and do all the other things…like…exercise! Well, kind of.
Bottom line is…when you have a baby, everything that you used to do in a nanosecond before, now takes you about a day or two!
So, here I am, 7 months after I gave birth and finally getting back slooowwwwly to my original size. I almost want to have another baby right away so that I can use the “I’m pregnant again” out-of-jail-card!
Hmmm…not such a bad idea!

DCP: If you’re still working on getting back your fabulous body, remember, knowing how to dress is all you need to know. Learn how to hide the post-pregnancy love handles and you are all set! Curves are beautiful and even if you are not used to them the right wardrobe will make you look and feel like a million bucks. You are and always will be the hottest mama on the block!

No comments: